PLATELET RICH PLASMA- PRP
WHAT IS PLATELET RICH PLASMA?
PRP contains your body's natural growth factors involved in the healing process from injuries. These growth factors stimulate the production of more blood vessels , collagen synthesis and recruitment of stem cells into the treatment area. For arthritis , PRP is injected into the joint to induce the repair and regeneration process therefore relieving pain and a healthier joint. The same principle applied to other PRP therapies such as The Vampire Facelift to create a natural and more youthful look; the P-shot and O-shot are the sexual optimization procedures and also the treatment option for urinary incontinence for men and women; the Hair Regrowth therapy for men and women to treat hair loss.
PRP is obtained from your own blood by using FDA approved preparations – centrifuge and tubes.
- Platelet rich plasma – PRP- is blood plasma that contains a concentrated source of autologous platelets.
- These platelets collected in PRP may be activated by adding thrombin or calcium chloride or by placing under the skin tissue which induces the activation process.
- The presence or absent of red and white blood cells and the addition of thrombin or calcium chloride may also delineate the preparation and effeteness based on indications.
- PRP contain many growth factors -GF and Cytokines.
BRIEF HISTORY OF PLATELET RICH PLASMA
- 1990 - PRP is used as a surgical glue to seal difficult incisions- open thoracic surgery, plastic surgery, large skin flap
- 1991- PRP is used by oral surgeons to enhance wound healing in cancer patients with jaw reconstructions.
- 1998 - Orthopedic surgeons begin using PRP as one of several tools to repair bone fractures that are resistant to healing.
- 1999 - Introduction of PRP in sport medicine- Steve Bono (QB-49ers) for Achilles tendon.
- 2006 - American Journal of Sport Medicine (11/2006) – research substantiates that PRP helps accelerate tissue/wound healing.
- 2006 - PRP applications start to extend across many fields of medicine from cardiovascular surgery, to orthopedics.
- 2009 - Hines Ward becomes MVP of Super Bowl after high ankle sprain 2 weeks prior.
HOW DO WE PREPARE THE PLATELET RICH PLASMA
- STEP 1: Withdraw blood from patient- 15-60 ml
- STEP 2: Load blood into the FDA approved centrifuge. Spin for about 15 minutes to obtain CONCENTRATED PRP
- STEP 3: Extract concentrated PRP and discard the rest
PRP Treatments We Offer
ACTIVATION OF PLATELETS
When injected into soft tissues, PRP will result in the formation of fibrin stand/mesh or extra cellular matrix under the skin.
Degranulation- when injected within the tissue, the platelets will release growth factors.
Migration of macrophages and stem cells to affected or treated area, both the stromal and hematopoietic stem cells to the area.
Growth factors will then bind to GF receptors in the area of injection, additional stem cells will be attracted to the area- stem cell proliferation and replication begin. GROWTH and REPAIR continue for up to 2-3 months after these injections.
Stem cells are needed to allow for direction and differentiation from the growth factors and tissue formation occurs.
The result is new, corrective, healthy tissues and the aging process of all tissues including the new tissues will continue.
Understanding Growth Factors
- IGF l&ll- insulin like growth factor encoded in the IGF1 gene
- TGF- b -transforming Growth Factor beta – cellular differentiation and proliferation
- CTGF/CCN2- connective tissue growth factor- matri-cellular protein needed for angiogenesis, proliferation and adhesion of cells.
- FGF - Fibroblast growth factor- needed for wound healing, proliferation, and differentiation for a variety of of tissues and cells.
- EGF - epidermal growth factor- mitogenic protein stimulating cell growth and differentiation whole binding to resident cell receptors
- VEGF- vascular endothelial growth factor- signal protein angiogenic inducer in vivo stimulating the growth of new vessels-
- IL8- Interleukan-8- proinflammatory chemokine which activates intracellular signaling pathway inducing chemotaxis and promoting angiogenesis.
- KGF/FGF7- keratinocyte growth factor- natural protein and paracrine mediator of epithelial cell growth.- hair/alopecia treatment.
- CD34+ cells- stem cell marker needed to attract additional stem cells to the repair site.
- Cytokines/adhesion Molecules- stromal derived factor- alpha- modulates migration and recruitment of stem cells to the repair and regeneration site. Chemotactic agents within PRP also help in the directional migration of cells.
Vampire Facelift Save $200
REAL PATIENT STORIES
"You found the fountain of youth! I'm going to start sending everyone your way." - Tina
"I am extremely happy. It has been a dream to have better skin. You have no idea how much this has helped my self esteem." - Kathleen